Arthritis is a common health condition and a leading cause of disability around the world, severely limiting one’s quality of life.
Swelling and tenderness in one or more joints of the body lead to severe pain, inflammation, degeneration or breakdown, and stiffness that worsens with age. This condition is most common in areas like the knees, lower back, hips, hands, and feet, making it difficult to move around and conduct daily activities.
Over 350 million people around the world suffer from some type of Arthritis, as per the Global RA Network. The World Health Organization says that over 14 million people globally have rheumatoid arthritis. According to the American College of Rheumatology, about one child in every 1000 children develops some form of chronic arthritis, making juvenile arthritis one of the most common childhood diseases.
Types Of Arthritis
The term ‘arthritis’ is a broad one that refers to over 100 different joint conditions. Here are some of the most common ones among them:
- Inflammatory arthritis: Inflammation occurs in the body for no apparent reason (abnormal immune response) and damages the joints’ surfaces as well as the underlying bones. This leads to pain, stiffness, and swelling. The most prominent type of such condition is Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- Degenerative arthritis: The cartilage in between the ends of the bones, responsible for smooth joint movements, gets damaged due to wear-and-tear, and hence, becomes thinner and rougher.
To compensate for this cartilage loss, the body develops undesirable bony growths called osteophytes, leading to osteoarthritis. It can also happen due to inflammation, fracture, or any other previous injury or infection in the joints.
- Infectious arthritis: A virus, fungus, or bacteria causes inflammation in the joint. It usually occurs due to shared needles, blood transfusions, food poisoning, contamination, and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).
- Childhood or Juvenile arthritis: This causes permanent damage to the joints and possibly occurs due to problems with the immune system.
- Metabolic arthritis: In some people, uric acid builds up and forms minute crystals in the joints, leading to extreme pain or gout.
- Septic arthritis: It happens due to bacterial/fungal infections when the disease-causing microorganisms spread through the blood to the joints. Other causes include pre-existing joint damage, artificial joint implants, chronic illness, immune system issues, recent joint injury/surgery, old age, diabetes, etc.
Causes of Arthritis
The causes of arthritis vary according to the type of the condition. Some of the most common causes include-
- Intense physical activity that puts excess stress on the joints
- Previous injuries
- Preexisting diseases and their symptoms
- Abnormal metabolism
- Family history, or genetic inheritance
The prominent symptoms of arthritis include pain, stiffness, swelling, and difficulty in joint movement or decreased range of motion.
Trailokya Vijaya Vati for Arthritis
The common prescription medications for these health issues (DMARDs, traditional painkillers, corticosteroids, counterirritants, opioids, acetaminophen, anti-inflammatories, NSAIDs, etc.) cause serious side effects, including
- Stomach issues
These drugs can even cause damage to the heart, liver, kidneys, and stomach. Hence, Ayurvedic doctors prescribe formulations like the Trailokya Vijaya Vati that help alleviate arthritis in a natural, safe, and effective way. As the name suggests, this herbal concoction prominently consists of Vijaya, a vital Ayurvedic herb with valuable medicinal properties.
The herb can effectively lower pain and inflammation in the system through its interaction with the body’s ECS, a complex biological system that regulates various functions, including pain signaling, inflammation, immune response, and energy balance (homeostasis). The chemical compounds in Vijaya interact with the cannabinoid receptors of the ECS that are predominantly present in the brain and the immune system.
It allows the herb to directly influence pain and inflammation in arthritis patients. It changes how the brain perceives pain and increases serotonin levels in the system. This interaction with the cannabinoid and serotonin receptors in the brain and the nervous system allows Vijaya to
- improve sleep quality
- reduce stress and anxiety
- promote relaxation of the brain and the body
- stabilize the mood
Vijaya aids arthritis patients in managing their symptoms better. It also blocks certain receptors in the immune cells to reduce immune hyperactivity and decrease inflammation in the system.
Trailokya Vijaya Vaticombines the vast therapeutic potential of Vijaya with the power of another potent Ayurvedic herb, Vansh lochan (Bambusa arundinacea). Both herbs possess anti-arthritic, anti-inflammatory, and pain-relieving properties that make the formulation highly useful for managing Arthritis.
Additionally, Trailokya Vijaya Vati does not exhibit any adverse side effects due to its herbal nature. Instead, it helps reduce the existing side effects of conventional treatment methods and prescription medication and even helps patients reduce the consumption of such medication.
What The Studies Say
Here are some of the countless studies conducted by medical professionals around the world on the efficacy of both Vijaya and Vansh lochan for arthritis patients:
- A study shows that Vansh lochan exhibits strong anti-inflammatory properties and is useful for the long-term treatment of chronic inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis.
- Research has shown that the herb has a strong anti-arthritic activity that significantly decreases the rheumatoid factor and bone erosion in the condition.
- Studies show that Vijaya interacts with the body’s ECS to significantly reduce osteoarthritis pain among patients, along with the inflammatory, nociceptive, and neuropathic pain subtypes.
- In rheumatoid arthritis (and other inflammatory conditions), fibroblast cells are the key producers of inflammatory substances, such as cytokines and chemokines, in the joints. A 2020 study showed that Vijaya effectively eases arthritis by targeting these fibroblast cells and reducing their production.
- Another 2022 study showed that Vijaya reduced pain by 83%, improved physical function by 66%, and increased sleep quality in 66% of arthritis patients. Most patients also reported a reduction or complete discontinuation of other medications, like anti-inflammatories, opioids, and acetaminophen.
Discover more about Ayurveda’s natural approach to relieving Arthritis and improving your quality of life by getting the right consultation from the best Ayurvedic doctors at Hempstreet.