Trailokya Vijaya Vati’ is one of the most potent classical medicines in the formulations having Cannabis as its key ingredients. The literal meaning of ‘Trailokya Vijaya Vati’ is a win over the outer three worlds. The medicine has a direct effect on motor neurons or ‘Vaat- Vaahini Naadi’ and therefore is as a drug providing quick relief or ‘Aashukari’ as per Ayurveda. Therefore, it provides quick results in the ailments related to various types of pain.
Trailokya Vijaya Vati is a binary preparation of Cannabis sativa and Bambusa arundianaceae, first described in Rasa Vigyana, a contemporary text of Ayurvedic Alchemy and Pharmaceutics. This potent formulation is known for producing astounding therapeutics effects in arrays of health conditions like Pralapa (Anxiety, Insomnia and related disorders), Unmada (Various Psychological and Psychosomatic disorders), Apasmara (Seizure diosrders), Vrikka-shoola (Different kinds of Colicky pains), Rajahkashtajanya Shoola (Dysmenorrhea and associated symptoms), Rajayakshma (Tuberculosis, Phthisis and similar wasting diseases), Atisara (Diarrhea, Colitis, IBS, IBDs etc.), and Shoola (Acute and Chronic Pains emerging from varied pathologies and origins) etc.
Ayurvedic Classical Medicine– Reference: Ayurved Sara Sangraha
Composition: Each tablet of ‘Trailokya Vijaya Vati’ contains 62.5 mg of Vijaya (Cannabis sativa linn) dried leaves, 62.5 mg of Vansh lochan (Bambusa arundianacea) and excipients q.s.
Vanshlochan or Bamboo Manna
- Rasa – Madhur, Kashaya, Katu, Tikta
- Guna – Sheeta, Laghu
- Veerya – Sheeta
- Vipaka – Madhur
Dosha Karma – Due to the virtue of above properties, Vanshlochan helps in mitigating all three doshas.
- Balya (Potent rejuvenator and antioxidant helps in revitalizing and reinvigorating cells of the body)
- Chedana (A potent demulcent and expectorant that helps in relieving excess mucous from the respiratory tract)
- Brimhana (Provides nourishment to the body through its strengthening, sustaining, and wholesome properties)
- Jwaraghna (An effective antipyretic agent that helps in normalizing hypothalamic thermoregulatory mechanism disrupted due to fevers of varied etiologies)
- Shvasahara (Antihistaminic, Broncho-dilating, Antispasmodic, Antidyspnoic and Anti-tussive properties)
- Vasti Shodhan, Mootrala and Mootra Sangrahaniya (Diuretic, Urine promoting, Urine cleansing actions)
- Helps in rejuvenation and nourishment of body post recovery from tuberculosis, and other wasting diseases.
- Promotes recovery in inflammatory disorders like Rheumatic Fever, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Spondylitis etc.
- Performs respiratory strengthening and protective action in diseases like Emphysema and Tuberculosis.
- Helpful in management of bleeding disorders like menorrhagia, dysfunctional uterine bleeding etc.
- Stimulates the functioning of Genitourinary System by mitigating the symptoms of Urinary disorders, mainly dysuria, anuria etc.
- Strengthens gastrointestinal system prevents occurrence of food borne illnesses like Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea leading to stomach upsets.
Bhanga or Cannabis
- Rasa – Tikta
- Guna – Laghu, Teekshna, Vyavayi
- Veerya – Ushna
- Vipaka – Katu
- Prabhava – Madaka
Dosha Karma – Bhanga acts on all three doshas by alleviating Vata & Kapha, and aggravating the Pitta.
- Agni Vardhak, Deepak, Grahi and Ruchya (Promotes appetite, increases gastric secretions, improves metabolism, absorption, and assimilation of food)
- Nidra Janan (Synchronizes the circadian rhythm of body)
- Akshepahara (Anti-epileptic agent)
- Vedna Sthapan and Shoola Prashaman (Mitigates pains arising due to various pathological conditions and causes)
- Kamada and Shonita Sthapan (Regulates the functioning of reproductive system by facilitating the healthy production of gametes)
- Serves as an ideal post chemotherapy healing measure as it helps in rejuvenation and revitalization of body.
- Helps in managing acute and chronic pain disorders associated with Rheumatoid Arthritis, Ankylosing Spondylitis, and other neuropathic pains and muscular pains.
- Potent reproductive tonic as it helps in modulating menstrual cycles in females whilst mitigating menstrual pains and related disorders like dysmenorrhea, menorrhagia, metrorrhagia, dysfunctional uterine bleeding, endometriosis etc.
- Curbs Anxiety, Stress and Sleep Disorders whilst effectively managing neurological sequalae of certain diseases like epileptic seizures, cognitive, motor, and sensory deficits.
- Regulates the proper functioning of Gastrointestinal system in IBS and IBDs whilst curbing abdominal pains and cramps.
Indications of Trailokya Vijaya Vati
- Cannabis medicine for chronic pains, joint pains
- Effective for muscular spasms and sciatica pain
- Effective for Menstrual cramps, pain associated with Dysmenorrhoea
- Provides relief from Colic pain, effective in treatment of Colitis, IBS and Diarrhoea
- Increases appetite
- Curbs Insomnia & Anxiety
- Improves quality of sleep and controls seizures
- Reduces fatigue and provides relief from Neuropathic pain
- Mitigates side-effects of Chemotherapy
- Effective for Renal colic and abdominal pains
Mechanism of Action
Cannabinoids produce analgesia by acting on multiple pain targets within the peripheral and CNS by activating specific receptors throughout the body, in particular CB1 which are found predominantly in CNS and CB2 receptors found in cells involved with immune system. Besides acting on cannabinoid CB1/CB2, they may reduce pain through interaction with the putative non-CB1/CB2 cannabinoid G protein-coupled receptors (GPCR55 or GPCR18) and opioid or serotonin (5-HT) receptors (1)
Hunger levels are determined by a substance in human body called ghrelin, which is known as the ‘hunger hormone’. The hormone is released by the stomach, intestines and brain, as it stimulates and manages appetite. Cannabis triggers ghrelin levels and stimulates appetite (2)
IBS, vomiting & Diarrhoea-
Cannabinoids predominately mediate inhibitory pathways in the gastrointestinal tract through reduction of vagal cholinergic tone. CB2 modulate inflammation, whereas CB1 control central functions, including pain control, satiety, nausea, and vomiting. The distribution and concentration of the endocannabinoid system in specific tissues demonstrate the physiology of cannabinoids in the gastrointestinal tract and offer possible drug targets for the management of inflammatory bowel disease.(3)
Dosage: One tablet twice a day or as directed by the Physician.
It is advisable to start at low dose as dosage may vary according to disease state and conditions. Dose may also vary from person to person. It is best to follow Physician’s advice to find the right dose.
Route of Administration: Oral
Diet- Cow Milk & Ghee, processed Chaach (Butter Milk with Jeera or as advised by the physician), nutritious, healthy, freshly prepared and easily digestible meals
Lifestyle- Regular body workout as per the body strength, Drink warm water throughout the day, and Early dinner.
Apathya (To be avoided)
Diet- Excessive Spicy, Cold, Dry, Reheated, Junk and Heavy to digest meals.
Lifestyle- Exposure to dry and hot environment, Late night dinner and improper sleep
CAUTION: Schedule E-1 drug. To be taken strictly under medical supervision
Side-Effects & Safety
Trailokya Vijaya Vati is safe when taken orally as a prescription medication with dosage as directed by the physician.
Precautions & Warnings
Allergy- Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to cannabis or any of the ingredients of this medicine
Pregnancy & lactation- This medicine is strictly not recommended during pregnancy or lactation. The effect of this medicine on pregnant women and lactating mothers has not been studied. Therefore, it is strictly not advisable for Pregnant and Lactating women.
Paediatrics- Similarly, since its effect has not been studied on paediatric population, it is not to be given to children below 16 years of age.
Heart disease- It might cause palpitations, fluctuations in blood pressure. Patients suffering with heart disease should take this strictly under doctor’s supervision.
Surgery- Taking this along with anaesthesia or sedative medications might cause too much sleepiness. It is advised to stop it at least a week before scheduled surgery.
This medicine is safe if taken as per the advised dose. No conclusive evidence found for any kind of drug interaction. If taking this product along with other medicines, please seek your doctor’s advice before starting this medicine. If both Ayurvedic and allopathic medicines are advised together, then its best to take the medicines at least after a gap of 20-30 minutes, or as directed by the physician.
Drugs for Sedative medications:
Taking Cannabis containing medicines along with sedative medicines can cause too much sleepiness. Consult your doctor before taking this medicine along with any sedative medications.
Drugs that control Blood sugar levels-
No conclusive evidence found for any kind of drug interaction with medicines that control blood sugar levels. It is considerably safe to take with drugs that control blood sugar levels.
Over dosage might cause drowsiness, light headedness, palpitations and fluctuations in blood pressure, panic attacks. In case of overdose, get medical help immediately.
- Keep out of reach of children
- Store at 5 – 32 degree Celsius
- Protect from Heat, light and moisture
- Do not use if blister is open / broken
- Do not use after expiry.
DO NOT take alcohol if under cannabis medication
DO NOT drive or operate any machine while under cannabis medication.
Cannabinoids as pharmacotherapies for neuropathic pain: Rahn EJ, Hohmann AG Neurotherapeutics. 2009 Oct; 6(4):713-37 Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2013 Jan 30; 365(2): 303–308 Gastroenterol Hepatol (N Y). 2016 Nov; 12(11): 668–679