Ayurveda puts a lot of emphasis on the importance of having a healthy gut. In this ancient and holistic science, good digestive health is one of the most fundamental aspects of overall wellbeing and effective bodily function. It has a direct impact on the body’s organ systems, immune response, physical and mental health, and overall spiritual balance.
The bilwadi churna is one of the most prominent and important Ayurvedic formulations, known to be immensely effective against digestive health issues. But what makes it so important? Does it really work? Why should one consume it? Read ahead to discover the answers to all your questions about the bilwadi churna.
What Is The Bilwadi Churna?
Bilwadi churna is a potent Ayurvedic medicine that holistically approaches overall gut health and function and alleviates the different digestive health conditions. It consists of natural ingredients that help eliminate harmful microorganisms from the digestive tract, stimulate digestive enzymes to improve the digestion of food, enhance the absorption of the food nutrients by the intestines, and improve the overall function of the digestive organs.
What Is It Made Of?
The bilwadi churna consists of certain key herbal ingredients that directly influence and improve one’s gut health, such as:
- Indian Bael (wood apple/bel giri) is the primary ingredient in this decoction, hence the name Bilwadi. This fruit is a rich source of Vitamin C and it helps relieve constipation, prevent the growth of harmful bacteria in the gut, and boost immunity.
- Coriander (dhania) is a popular medicinal herb rich in dietary fiber, Vitamin C and K, iron, and magnesium. It helps eliminate toxins from the blood, suppress inflammation, enhance digestion, and improve liver and bowel functions.
- Fennel seeds contain manganese that stimulates the digestive system and boosts metabolism.
- Sonth (dry ginger powder) promotes efficient digestion, alleviates nausea, prevents gut inflammation, and improves the movement of food through the gut (gut motility).
- Mochras helps alleviate conditions like dysentery and diarrhea.
- Dhai phool (dhataki) comes with antioxidant and liver protective properties which help alleviate liver issues and enhance its function. It further helps relieve pain and inflammation in the gut.
- Vijaya enhances the function of the ECS in the gut, improves overall gut health, alleviates various gastrointestinal disorders, and promotes a healthy gut microbiome.
- Hing (asafetida) is rich in fiber; aids digestion; alleviates various stomach issues, and comes with anti-spasmodic, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties.
What Are Its Benefits and Whar Conditions Does It Help Alleviate?
The various ingredients in the bilwadi churna work together to offer wide-ranging health benefits for the gut, and help alleviate conditions like:
- Stomach pain
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (IBDs) like ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal discomfort
Furthermore, this Ayurvedic medicine acts as an astringent (grahi). Hence, it absorbs the excess liquid contents from the intestine to reduce the frequency of loose stools. It aids digestion, cools the gut lining, and enhances nutrient absorption, thus preventing the elimination of undigested foods. It detoxifies Pitta, reduces Kapha, and pacifies Vata. As a result, patients can easily use this Ayurvedic medicine irrespective of their Doshas.
Does It Really Work?
Over the years, medical experts and researchers around the world have conducted various studies and trials on the efficacy of bilwadi churna’s ingredients on gut health issues and found them to be highly beneficial for overall gut health. Here are a few of them:
- In a Canadian study, it was found that Vijaya improved IBD symptoms in over 91%, abdominal pain in over 84%, and abdominal cramping in over 77% of the patients. They further reported decreased stress levels and improved quality of life.
- A 2021 research showed that Indian Bael has exceptional therapeutic and nutritional properties. It is rich in diverse essential minerals (iron, boron, iodine, zinc, copper, manganese, magnesium, etc.), dietary fiber, antioxidants, amino acids, and other bioactive compounds that help enhance digestion and nutrient absorption. It further detoxifies and cleanses the digestive tract.
- Another study showed that Ginger is strongly effective against gastrointestinal issues as it directly affects the composition of the gut bacteria and enhances the function of the intestinal barrier.
- As per research, Fennel seeds can reduce the irritation and tension in the intestines to relax them and enhance bowel function. They further exhibit strong anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial properties.
When And How To Consume It and What Is Its Ideal Dosage?
This Ayurvedic medicineis available in powder form. Ayurvedic doctors normally recommend consuming 1-2 spoonfuls of it with lukewarm water. This is to be taken after the meal, thrice a day. But the ideal dosage of this formulation varies individually, depending upon the condition(s) one is suffering from, medical history/pre existing illnesses, and the person’s dietary and lifestyle habits. Thus, it is always best to get the right consultation from Ayurvedic doctors.
How Long Does It Take To Show Effect?
This herbal formulation shows effect in no time, and its ingredients have a direct and effective action on the digestive system.
Is It Safe/Does It Have Any Side Effects?
This concoction contains natural ingredients that are safe for consumption, easy to digest, and readily absorbed by the body. Hence, they do not show any adverse side effects like conventional medications. Furthermore, consuming this medicine also helps reduce the consumption of and dependency on harmful traditional drugs and alleviates their side effects on the system.
But improper dosage and misuse of this churna can harm the digestive system. Hence, as mentioned earlier, it is best to consult with ayurvedic doctors before consuming it to know the ideal dosage, mode of consumption, frequency, and course duration.
To know more about bilwadi churna and its effects on your gut health and overall life quality, Contact Hempstreet and get the best Ayurvedic consultation.